I will NOT plan to post on here every day about this, but the first day was such a big deal here, so I wanted to comment on our new eating plan a little (mainly for myself so I can keep records!).
Day 1 was a challenge. Not so much because I couldn't find things for my family to eat, but more so because I don't want my kids or husband to feel restricted by food or to have it constantly on their minds. I don't want to create an unhealthy perception about food. So, making this a positive experience is requiring a great deal of creativity on my part!
Little Prince: He was a trooper, especially after the apple juice incident. (Note: Apple juice is allowed after stage 1 on the plan. Search: Salicylate sensitivity for more information here). We improvised with pineapple juice and all was well. He is normally asking me every 30 seconds for a snack, but he was great yesterday about not harping on things. As soon as they go back to school (maybe today?? The weather is iffy) I am going to clear out a space in the pantry for "approved" snacks that they can grab whenever they want so that they don't have to ask constantly "is this okay?" Overall, he handled it well. He is the main reason I initially researched the plan, so I have high hopes for him! He also just went with it when I gave him new dye-free gatorade (instead of the beloved blue) at bedtime for his leg cramps. I was so proud of him!
Little Princess: Our only despondency from her came when she realized her favorite gum (which she chews CONSTANTLY) was full of red dye and aspartame. :( Not sure how I can find a substitute here, but I'm looking! Other than that, she was the food police. When I snuck some ketchup to little man (tomatoes are one of the items on the "not yet" list), she was quite vocal. But, I had promised him homemade tater tots for several days, so I allowed a tiny squirt of ketchup (all natural). We had a church fellowship last night and she wanted a snack, and she came and asked before getting anything. She is normally the rebellious one, so I was impressed and proud! Today at school will be the real test...
Me: This isn't all that different from how I normally eat, so I didn't have much trouble. I will miss my M&Ms, but I'll survive! :) I haven't given up coffee yet...it is one of the suggested things you don't do for the first few weeks, but I haven't decided about it... Not sure it's a good idea to go cold turkey on that, so I may do half caff for a while and then cut it out if I feel like I'm not benefiting enough from the program.
King of my Castle: My poor hubby is trying to be sooooo supportive. I have rarely felt as loved as yesterday when he sacrificed some things he wanted to be supportive, and the cheez balls stayed hidden til after the kids went to bed. The problem is that he mostly eats junky, processed stuff. Not a lot of it, but mostly junk. He was going through the cabinets yesterday totally frustrated that his favorites were not approved. I am not forcing this plan on him at all because what he will eat is so limited, but he has volunteered to do all he can to follow it. His biggest problem is that the only fruit or vegetable he can tolerate is green beans. Oh, and tomato sauce. So, he doesn't have much to supplement with, unlike me and the kids. I am NOT cutting out tomatoes for him initially because I need him to be able to eat some veggies.
Also, his only real source of fiber is fiber bars for breakfast, so for now we are keeping those. I am researching homemade alternatives, but it is super important he still get some fiber! Also, we have decided he will use up some of the things in the pantry and we will replace them with better options because we can't afford to just throw them out. His biggest snack is popcorn, and I did find a natural alternative for the "butter" he sprinkles on his popcorn. :)
All in all, it was a good day on plan. School starts back today, and I know my kids will struggle some with that. We are setting up a "trading post" where they can trade in candy and stuff that they get at school for other things (stay up 10 min late, read with Mommy or Daddy, play a few extra minutes on iPad, etc). My daughter has her approved snacks in her backpack for snack time, and both kids are armed with letters to their teachers. I greatly appreciate all the prayers and emails sent our way as we start this!
Oh...also...we forgot about some Christmas money, so we purchased the Feingold download plan. I am hopeful this will make things easier!!
No comments:
Post a Comment