Friday, January 10, 2014

Recipe Roundup, week 1

For my own reference, I am going to try to do a post about once a week or so of any new recipes we have tried while we adjust our eating.  Otherwise, I'll lose the recipes or forget if they were good.  I do have a recipe binder where I keep recipes we enjoy, but it is in serious need of a remodel. :)  For now, this can be my recipe spot.   Also, please note that AT FIRST we are not tackling eliminating sugar.  I have probably gone overboard this week trying to make family favorites "real" in order to increase compliance and support of this plan.  As taste buds adjust and we see results, I will work towards reducing sugar.  I can only do so many things at once...

Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies  - I made these after an urgent text from my daughter's teacher about unexpected cupcakes brought into school.  Can I just say that these were A-MA-ZING?  Of course, icky picky sister didn't like them (they are homemade, so she can't like them! ha!), but her brother and I could have eaten the WHOLE PAN.  I did use pure vanilla and I halved the recipe and it still made a ton.  I am going to try to freeze a few and see if they thaw well.  If so, I am sending a few for Little Man to keep in a freezer at school in case of unexpected snack times or parties at school.   Nothing low sugar or low fat about them, but for a true treat, they were fabulous.

Homemade peanut butter cups - These were also good.  I halved this recipe as well and used coconut oil in place of shortening.  But, I goofed and bought semi-sweet instead of milk chocolate chips and the chocolate flavor way overshadowed the pb flavor, much to my family's dismay (and my delight, as I love chocolate but not so much pb candy).   They still liked them but said they wanted more pb flavor.  Next time I will do milk chocolate chips and try them in a big muffin pan so there is more pb than chocolate.  I am confident that will solve the "problem" for my non-chocolate lovers.

Homemade Chicken nuggets  Yum, yum, yum!  :)  Only tweak was no paprika, as it is a "not yet" food on Stage one of Feingold.   Delicious!  And easy!  Even my "please can we have store bought nuggets because they are yummier?!?!?!" youngster approved these!

Mac and Cheese  - um...gross.  I LOVE this site, but this recipe did not work for us.  Even my macaroni monster couldn't choke it down.   I think I messed up and added the cheese while still on low heat, so I am willing to try again in case it was operator error, but yick.

Banana Muffins Since my son was born almost 6 years ago, we have had muffins EVERY SUNDAY MORNING.  Unfortunately, they have been the highly processed variety because it was easy for my husband to fix while I scrambled to get us all ready.   So, we tried these this week.  It is listed as a bread recipe, but I made them into muffins, and let me tell you, it made a TON.  I loved them (except that they contained wheat so I was sick as a dog afterwards), but the kids weren't sold.   I think for day 1 they weren't "sweet enough," so I will try them again in a few weeks when taste buds have had a chance to adjust.

Whipped Cream (to replace cool-whip in hot chocolate)     Yes, we licked the bowl.  Every last little bit.  Delicious.  Indulgent.

We also made "real" hot chocolate using sugar and unsweetened cocoa in whole milk.  There are tons of online recipes, but it basically comes down to experimenting to find out how much cocoa and sugar are right for you and yours.  :)

I have a couple more recipes I made "real" from recipes I already had, but I will have to type them up, so this will suffice for now.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment