I have to confess that I had a mini-meltdown earlier this week about this whole real-food, no-dye thing. Not because I didn't want to do it anymore, but just because I was exhausted and in a hurry and not hungry and had to figure out something to fix QUICKLY that everyone would eat and I just didn't want to hear any whining or complaining!! :) Hubby to the rescue with "boiled omelets." We have done these for years but I had completely forgotten about them. Super easy, yummy, and everyone was happy. We added a few fried potatoes and some fruit and we were good to go.
"Boiled" Omelets (sounds gross, but they taste amazing!) - also called camping eggs and omelet-in-a-bag
Here is a recipe I found online that describes the process so that I don't have to type it all out. We used ham and cheese with a little salt and pepper. Omelets
White cake - We are having umpteen "celebrations" at school the next few weeks, so I wanted to make some dye free natural cupcakes for the kiddos to keep in the freezer at school for those unexpected party days, which seem to be almost EVERY day! (That's another post for another day...don't get me started!) I totally meant to use white flour (what my daughter calls "the good stuff"), but I got distracted and dumped in whole wheat pastry flour. They were good! A little drier than I like, but not bad! I will add a little more moisture next time. I topped it off with homemade buttercream icing made with REAL vanilla (not the fake stuff), and even hubby approved. I popped them in these cute little containers from Wal-Mart, and they are ready for school.
Hamburger buns - I think I posted this recipe before, but it has become my new go-to recipe for hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, etc. Also, if you get them out at just the right time and eat them hot, they taste amazingly like Sister Schubert's yeast rolls! :)
Cinnamon Roll Muffins - I found the muffin recipe I used last week...these were best fresh, but the kiddos DID eat them reheated, which surprised me!
This week we also had deer stew, make just like a beef stew but with ground venison instead of beef pieces. We made bacon cheddar chowder for a fellowship with our church family, and it was a hit, but a little too spicy! Next time I won't add as much cayenne.
We have SEVERAL potluck situations coming up in the next 10 days, and I am brainstorming already about "real" food we can take for those as well as maneuvering my kids through the line and making good choices for them. I will be sure to let you know how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment