Thursday, January 23, 2014

Noah's Ark for 2s and 3s

Last night I got called to sub for the 2s and 3s class at our congregation.  They were studying Noah, so we focused on the rainbow, God keeping his promises, and the animals.  Unfortunately, I forgot part of the lesson at home in the chaos that was yesterday, so I didn't quite have enough stuff to fill the time, which meant I had to improvise.

Here is what I planned that I forgot!!!

Matching game

We started class by sorting "rainbow" things by color.  I had some colorful bowls, some popsicle sticks in rainbow colors, some krazy straws, some beanbags, and various other rainbow items.  They sorted them into piles of the same colors and we talked about how God made colors for us to enjoy!  This was a good ice breaker for the kids who were nervous about having a different teacher than usual.  By the way, each kid took home a krazy straw at the end.

Next, we told the story of Noah.  When it rained, we sang "Pitter Patter."  As Noah floated on the water, we rocked back and forth.  When Noah praised God upon leaving the ark, we all bowed our heads and prayed to thank God for all of our blessings.   At the end of the story, we sang "Good Old Noah."  Overall, the kids did pretty well considering I was a "strange" teacher. :)

Our craft for the evening was this:

The kiddos added foam animals to the ark and rainbow stickers.  We wrote their names on the bottom popsicle stick, so that it would read "God keeps His promises to Sarah," or whichever kid it was.  It was a fun project!  The rainbow sticks came from Dollar Tree in packs of 100, and I hot glued them to the plain sticks.  Then, the ark was cut from a paper grocery bag because I was out of brown construction paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment