All in all, it is going pretty well. I have to be focused on it/conscious of it constantly, but it has been okay. I must confess that I am disgusted by how many things have artificial dyes and flavors! I even learned that they dye FRESH ORANGES from Florida and Texas to make them look "juicier." Seriously?? I had no idea.
It has helped that the kids had several snow days this week so that we could try it more at home before they were in school full time. Today Little Miss' class had an unexpected birthday snack and I hadn't yet made my stuff to freeze and keep at school, so I had to quickly put some treats together (homemade reeses cups and homemade oatmeal creme pies). My biggest issue with following it is that my daughter HATES anything homemade or made from scratch. She always has hated it, but it's more obvious and more of an issue now that EVERYTHING is homemade. She is my junk food junkie. Also, today she was trying to sneak food (that terrifies me!), but her teacher ratted on her. :) In her defense, she said that the cupcake was white and had white icing, so she thought it was okay. I haven't addressed much besides colors with the kids yet, so I understand that. The other day she did help me make homemade bread, and SHE ATE IT AND ASKED FOR SECONDS. Maybe getting her to help will ease the transition. I am going to make an effort this weekend and next week to include the kids in making stuff more, even though it will take longer and be less convenient. Both kids have been very good about asking before they eat anything. They have learned that they like pear juice as much as apple juice. :) I haven't yet noticed any behavior changes, but I am hopeful. We had one afternoon where I thought Little Man had turned a corner (he VOLUNTARILY worked on ONE LEGO PROJECT FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF UNASSISTED AND WITH NO ONE TALKING TO HIM!!!), but the next morning he was back to his normal, wild self. But, I know it can take time.
We have tried lots of new recipes this week, though! Some are keepers, and some not so much! :) I have been trying to make healthier versions of their favorites this week so that they don't feel like there has been quite so much of an upheaval.
I am still reading my official material. This is going to be such a learning process! I wasn't very thrilled with the food list, only because the one they sent me doesn't really seem to be for this area. It is VERY thorough, but there are very few stores I recognize. I am going to contact them and tell them the stores around here and see if another regional list is better suited. We are on the edge of 2 regions, so it is possible I purchased the wrong thing.
On a very positive note, I lost 3 lbs at WW this week following this plan! Granted, it was the 3 I gained over Xmas, but still! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment