Friday, April 11, 2014

Just wait...

I read a post today from a faithful Christian woman who is expecting her first child.  She was frustrated about all the "horror" stories she hears as a pregnant woman from well-meaning friends and family.  She was discouraged by all the "do this now before baby comes," and "Oh, just wait for this bad thing to happen in parenthood..."   I was touched by her vulnerability and honesty, as well as her request for encouraging replies letting her know the GOOD things she could look forward to.  I couldn't help but reply about this wonderful, crazy, yet rewarding thing we call motherhood.  Especially this week, I, too, needed to be reminded that it IS worth it!!  Here is my reply, for what it is worth.

I have always wondered what it is about a pregnant belly that invites so much unsolicited advice and story-sharing, even from total strangers! Also, it always amazed me when total strangers would come up and rub my belly. I always wanted to reach out and rub theirs back to see how they reacted. :) I do think, though, that people feel validated and connected by sharing the details of their difficult labors or pregnancies, their sleepless nights, and their poop-covered clothing. Childbirth is simultaneously both the most humbling and empowering event a woman can experience! After I had my first child, I felt like if I could do that, I could conquer the world! (And, that is despite some difficult moments during labor. Who cares about those even a split second after the baby arrives?) While most of the “horror” stories people share are, indeed, reality, even the most “horrible” events in parenting can bring such strength and growth and bonding! Without some bumps along the road, would we truly appreciate the good moments? We have experienced some heart wrenching things with our children, but we learn and grow and change so much by experiencing the rough parts. Will there be sleepless nights? Many. Will there be extra laundry? You betcha. Will there be days you want to sit down in the floor and throw a tantrum to match your overtired toddler? Undoubtedly. Will you sometimes feel like this is just more than you can handle? Yes. But, just wait…
Just wait…til you see that first little real smile (not the gassy kind) directed straight at you.
Just wait…til you hear that first belly laugh. You’ll do the craziest things to bring it back again and again. You might even call the grandparents just to let them listen.
Just wait…til you see your son walking hand in hand with their Daddy and even their gait matches his.
Just wait…til your daughter shows up with “eyeliner” courtsey a purple Sharpie on your way out the door for family pictures.
Just wait…til your child says his first solo prayer and thanks God for the napkins, the chairs, the sticky floor, the dirt, the sky, Grandma, Grandpa, the people next door, my friend down the street, the cat, my blankie, my pillow, my corn, my potatoes, my chicken, and my…”Hey Mom, what IS this?…” and on and on.
Just wait…til your child lets go and takes her first steps while you hold your breath…and your camera…and your video camera…and the iPad while you FaceTime grandparents.
Just wait…til you hear a tiny little voice joining yours in praise to God.
Just wait…til you are teaching the books of the Bible to your little one and they can’t quite say the words right but it doesn’t matter because they are trying!
Just wait…til you can finally understand a tiny little bit of what God must have felt when He sent His only son to earth to suffer and sacrifice and laugh and cry…and save.
Just wait…it’s amazing. And scary. And exhausting. And invigorating. And sad. And happy. And fun. And special. And so much more than you could ever hope or imagine or dream…if you got to sleep, that is! :)
Better yet, don’t “just wait.” Enjoy every moment that you have with your baby now while you are always together, later when you bring them into this world, and every moment that God blesses you and your husband with taking care of this precious blessing and this special soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment