Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Recipe Roundup

Oh...holidays.  They seem to revolve totally around food...which means I get to break out some new recipes!  Here are our most recent additions to our recipes.  Enjoy!

Homemade "Peeps" - the honey flavor in this was WAY too strong, even for me.  The consistency was great, the "Peeps" were fun to make, the kids had a blast, but the taste just wasn't right.  Next time we'll try a recipe that uses something besides honey.  "Natural" marshmallows are hard to find, which is why we tried to make our own.

Homemade "Cadbury" Chocolates  - OH....YUM.  Cadbury eggs are my all-time favorite candy.  Ever.  They mocked me from the checkout everywhere I went this month, so I had to tackle this recipe!  We made them in mini muffin pans because I could not find an egg mold ANYWHERE.  They were AMAZING.  I didn't bother with the yellow "yolk" part since they were muffin shaped anyway.  Everyone loved them.  Even my husband, who doesn't like Cadbury eggs, said they were "pretty good."

Banana Muffins - I made these last night so we'd have a quick and easy breakfast this morning, and they were great!  Hearty, filling, and just enough sweet.  Both kids scarfed them down.  :) I paired it with some natural cheese for protein.  The author of this recipe originally used it as banana bread, but it worked great as muffins, too!

All natural homemade mac and cheese - finally!  A recipe that gets my husband's approval!!   It only took about 47 attempts to find the right one! The amounts will vary depending on how much mac and cheese you are making and how cheesy you want it!  But, use 2 parts all natural white american cheese (I use Boar's Head from Ingles deli) to one part natural sharp cheddar cheese.  Add to cooked pasta along with pat of butter and about 1 - 2 TBSP milk and stir on low until cheese is melted and gooey and delicious.   The final consensus was that "it's not quite like Velveeta, but it's delicious."  :) It is a little pricey to make with this cheese, but, to be able to have a FAVORITE food occasionally, it is totally worth it to us.

Pancakes  We have played around with pancake recipes for a long time, as well.  This is our go-to recipe now.  The kids call it "Daddy's secret pancakes" because he was the first to try them.  We do use white whole wheat flour instead of regular all purpose, and they turn out delicious every time.   Here is the Easter version we had over the weekend. :)  "Bunny cakes!"   The tail is an all-natural marshmallow and the paw prints are raisins.

Bunny Bread - Our Keepers girls made these cute rolls last week and they were yummy!  I didn't have all the spices, so I substituted Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb.


No comments:

Post a Comment