Monday, April 14, 2014

Summary of our food choices

I keep getting requests for a summary of our new food choices, how we started, where we are now, etc.  So, this is an email I sent to a friend.  It is super long and some of it I've already written about, but maybe it will be helpful to post all in one place.  Let me know what ?'s you have!  Also, any brands I mention are just because we like them and use them.  I am not compensated in any way for mentioning them! :)

We have taken a pretty drastic approach to eating natural at our house.  Everyone wouldn't need to be this drastic.  So, I'll tell you what we do, and you can take it from there, but please don't think that I would think you aren't doing a good job if you don't do what we do!  I think every step taken to cut out unnatural stuff is fabulous.  I'd like to eventually move towards even fewer processed foods, but with the kids in school, right now I'm taking it one step at a time.  

My daughter has severe OCD, anxiety, and depression even at such a young age and has been in therapy since she was 3.  We started this plan because of her brother's hyperactive behavior, and it has helped him, but it has completely transformed her.  She is like a completely different child.  Her emotional control is better, her social anxiety has decreased, and even many manifestations of her OCD have diminished. She used to have meltdowns that could last for hours of out of control crying, anger, and screaming, but not anymore.  Now her "tantrums" are much more age appropriate.  She also used to have severe nightmares/night terrors, and those have mostly been eliminated.  Add to that some more personal issues she had, and they, too, have diminished.  She used to be unable to carry on a conversation with other children, but occasionally now she even seeks them out! Her therapist has been shocked by it, as have we!  I had no clue it would make such a difference for her.  I had not planned to be quite so strict/diligent about it, but even she, at 8 years old, can tell the difference it makes.  So...I will sound extreme and over-the-top in how far we have taken it, but it is simply because our life has changed so drastically from it.  

Basically, we have cut out everything artificial. We are also using all whole grains (I use white whole wheat flour from Gold Medal or King Arthur for all my baking now, including our breads because I haven't found a great natural one at the store). I am HOPING to even mill our own flour when/if we can save enough for a mill.  We don't allow any artificial dyes, colors, fragrances (when possible), preservatives, additives, and sweeteners.  So, no yellow #5, red #40, etc.  Annatto coloring & beta carotene are natural and most people don't react to them.  The main preservatives we look for are BHA , BHT, and TBHQ (sometimes listed on packaging, and sometimes not).   We have also cut out caramel color, vanillin/artificial vanilla, and all artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, etc.  I am trying to limit/reduce any high fructose corn syrup as well, but at the moment I am allowing CapriSuns with no dyes or artificial flavors when the kids have events at school.  I am watching for MSG  and nitrites/nitrates (think hot dogs and bacon) as well when I can.  We are essentially following this plan:  http://www.feingold.org/    This plan is an elimination plan used to determine allergies, etc., so we also eliminated some fruits and vegetables initially while we detoxed from artificial stuff, but I don't think that's necessary for everyone.  I do allow a few things not "on their plan" that we do not seem to react to.  We only found one big thing our kids reacted to (apples) in our elimination process. My son can still have them maybe twice a week without ill effects, but my daughter only once in a blue moon.   More than twice in a week and she has extreme reactions to them.  Also, we pretty much went "cold turkey" on this.  We started over Xmas break before the kiddos went back to school.  

Obviously, the best way to eat natural is to stick with fruits, veggies, lean meats, dairy, and grains, nuts, etc. in their most natural state.  HOWEVER, that is often easier said than done!  It is just reality in our day and time that we sometimes need convenience.  So, I have researched that extensively and am learning every day!  Almost all of these natural things are more filling, and thus we eat less. I am hopeful that when school is out and we don't have to send "non-perishable" snacks for them to have in class I can move us to all "real food/whole food" snacks without the convenience products unless we are traveling.

We have switched to full-fat dairy.  I hate it when I put it on my WW points list, but it doesn't have additives like Vitamin A palmitate, which can cause those who are sensitive to chemicals to react.  Also, it's more filling, so we use less.   We use Sargento Natural cheese slices for the most part, but also some cheese sliced in the deli or some store brand shredded cheese if we need to.

I have a complete "approved food" list that I got from the feingold site when I purchased their materials, but it wasn't as helpful as I had hoped because most of the foods listed in it are from stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. (Side note:  There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's an hour from us which we are going to start using occasionally for stocking up on things).   However, I have been to our local healthier supermarket  a few times with good success.  EVERYTHING there meets our qualifications, unless we are in the middle of an elimination phase.  They are somewhat pricey on produce and freezer foods, but if you sign up for their emails, they have decent coupons and deals on their groceries if you watch for them.   Also, Kroger has a new line of products called "Simple Truth" that is free from 101 artificial ingredients and preservatives.  They are very affordably priced, almost completely in line with "regular" brands.  

There is a brand of snacks called Annie's Homegrown Organics.  They make cheddar bunnies (like goldfish), cheddar snack mixes, honey graham bunnies (like teddy grahams), gummy fruit snacks and others.  They also make macaroni and cheese that is natural, as well as salad dressings.  I THINK they make some cereals, too, but I haven't found them yet.  Ingles has the best selection of Annie's goods that I have found.  Earth Fare has them, but they are pricier.   Whoever makes Cheetos has a new line called "simply" that is free of preservatives.  THey make "simply cheetos," "simply ruffles," etc.  Kettle Brand has lots of "natural" chips.  

My son loves snack bars, and he says the Clif brand bars are really good.  They make a kids' size, some granola bars, and full "meal replacement" sized energy bars.  He has taken them a time or two instead of a sandwich or wrap for lunch.  Original Pringles are also "natural" ingredients (albeit not very healthy!) and come in snack sizes which are convenient for the kids to take to school.  My kids also like Veggie Straws (in the rice cake section at Walmart) that are basically veggie chips.  Trail mixes can be good, too, if you avoid the M&M kind (although some of the health stores have yummy natural M&Ms....my favorite candy!).  

For cereal, SunBelt bakery makes some preservative free granola that is good.  Kashi is generally natural as well, as is "Mom's best cereals."  My son likes EnviroKidz  because it is "kid friendly."  He likes the Leapin' Lemurs peanut butter and chocolate flavor.  

For lunch meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc., we are looking for those without nitrates and nitrites.  I buy Hormel Natural Choice lunchmeat (Walmart is the cheapest).  Hormel also has uncured pepperoni and bacon, and so does the new Kroger Simple Truth brand.  Oscar Mayer and BallPark both have uncured hot dogs that are good.  

I have been making most of my bread, rolls, etc. from scratch, but I have found a few convenience items that I love to use in a pinch.  Ingles sells a brand of refrigerated crescent rolls and cookie dough called Immaculate Baking that is good.  EarthFare has more options from that brand, but they are pricier. 

I have replaced sugar in almost all of my baked goods with honey. It supposedly is healthier and helps with blood sugar issues (which I have).   I do still allow my kids sugar, though.  As a matter of fact, the first few weeks of this I erred on the side of sweets in order to encourage compliance with our plan, and they actually had more treats than some of their friends!  They have taken it in stride well.  We have explained it to them every step of the way. and they realize they feel better, so they have done well with it. I  won't say they LIKE it, but they have done great, and it is growing on them. 

We have gone so far as to choose natural candies (sounds weird, I know), natural gum, natural sprinkles, and even natural icing and candy colors for birthdays.   For us, it just seems necessary.  

This is sometimes hard to reconcile with weight watchers.  It is hard to focus on both at the same time, but I'm getting back in stride.

I know this is sooo long...but I've tried to be thorough!  Let me know what questions you have!!  I'm not perfect at this and I certainly don't have all the answers, but about 15 weeks into this, I feel like I am gaining momentum.  I believe this has been soooo helpful for us and I think it can be for others as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment