Tuesday, April 22, 2014

King Hezekiah

This lesson just did NOT want to come together for me!  I struggled and struggled with it!  Not sure why, but it just wasn't working.   It ended up going well, though, and here is what I finally came up with, for what it's worth!

When the kids came in, they decorated a crown and put it on a craft stick.



When we were finished with that, I told the story of King Hezekiah.  I used laminated coloring pages to represent parts of the story.   Crown = Our story is about a good king named Hezekiah.   statues = idols he took down/destroyed.  Soldier w/helmet = Assyrian leader   Praying hands = Hezekiah prayed for Lord to help   Army = God made it so other army left    Sick face = Hezekiah got sick and was going to die   2nd praying hands = He prayed for God to heal him   Ear = God heard his prayer and extended his life    Sundial = God gave him the sign of sundial going back

Every time I said his name, the kiddos had to hold the crown up on their heads.  This produced more than a few giggles, but it also meant that they listened VERY WELL so that they could try to be the first to get the crown on their heads!  We talked about how he loved God and prayed before making decisions as well as when he was told his life would end.  When we talked about the sundial moving back 10 degrees, we made these.
I just made a "clock face" in Microsoft word and used clip art to help the kiddos retell that part of the story. They glued this to a cheap paper plate.   The first picture (at "1:00/2:00") shows a sickly Hezekiah.   "4:00/5:00" shows him praying.  "7:00/8:00" shows that God heard his prayer.   "10:00/11:00" shows a sundial.  Then, I cut out triangles of stiff paper (actually, a file folder that was not being used!), folded over the bottom, and attached it to the sundial.  with a brad.  As they told the story, they could turn the sundial to the correct picture.  I let each one who wanted to retell the story to the class.  They did great with this.  I was quite pleased!  We also had a review activity, but it wasn't fancy.  Just answering questions by raising their crowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment