Friday, April 13, 2012

More than "just" a mommy. :)

Today is my birthday, and I couldn't have asked for a better day!  I woke up beside my wonderful husband this morning and, as soon as the annoying beeping of the alarm finished, he quickly wished me a happy birthday.  Then, after my kiddos woke up, both of them serenaded me (separately, b/c they weren't in the mood for "teamwork) with Happy birthday, dear Mommy!   As I pulled out from taking my daughter to school, my dad called to sing to me.  He's done this every year since I moved away from home.   One year I thought he forgot, and my birthday wasn't complete until I heard from him!  Some may think it's cheesy, but I was always a daddy's girl, and I still love to hear him sing happy birthday to me!  Even when he does the crazy voices.

Most of my day was spent being "room mom" for my daughter's kindergarten class. We went to a kids' museum and then stopped for lunch.  Fun times for all!  Oh, and a side note...crutches make good "door blockers" if any kindergarteners are trying to sneak out of their assigned areas. :)

One of the best parts of my birthday, though, is that I am not "just" a mommy tonight.  My parents are keeping the kids, and my husband took me out to dinner.  Guess what?!  I got to order whatever I wanted AND--get this!--I got to eat my food while it was HOT!  Amazing how much better baked potatoes and grilled chicken taste before they have cooled off.  We even had some adult conversation about the news, politics, hubby's work, and, of course, the kids.  Then, as has become our annual tradition, he took me out for ice cream to my absolute favorite ice cream place!  It costs a fortune (1 cone and 1 cup were $10!), so we only go once a year, but it is so worth it!  And now?  I have the luxury of having the computer to myself, my feet are propped up, and I have absolutely no responsibilities to anyone but me tonight.  I can even go to bed early and stay in bed as long as I want tomorrow with no one climbing on me to see if I'm awake.  In the morning, I'm even getting a REAL haircut.  At a SALON, not a $4 budget haircut place!  Woohoo!  Ah, bliss!  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a Mommy, and I am so proud of my sweet kiddos, but sometimes (at least once a year!), it's good to remember that I am not "just" someone's mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment