I get lots of questions about why my kids' pictures aren't on my blog. I used to hear a lot about why they weren't on my facebook page (which I no longer have). Here's the quick version:
Several years ago when my daughter was about 18 months old, I was shopping in a store when I heard someone call my daughter by name. She was walking with me and not riding in a buggy, so she and I both turned to see who was calling her. There stood a girl I'd never seen, calling my 1 1/2 year old by name. Next, she said, "Come here. I'm a friend of your Aunt Kiki (my sister's name is Kristen, but that was too hard for my daughter to say, so she called her Kiki). Come see me and talk to me." My daughter was young enough and friendly enough to want to go straight to anyone who knew her "Aunt Kiki." I grabbed her hand quickly and told her that no, we don't go to strangers. The girl smiled bigger and said, "Oh, I'm not a stranger. I see her pictures on your sister's facebook page all the time, so I feel like I know her. I just want to talk to her. Come here and see Kiki's friend." Not. Cool.
I was pretty shaken by the whole thing when I got home, and I struggled with how to teach my very young daughter not to talk to strangers but to also teach her to be friendly and to speak when spoken to, as she had a habit of ignoring people when they spoke to her. I decided to just leave it at, "Always ask Mommy or Daddy before you go to anyone." I also called my sister and asked her to let her friend know that we were rattled by it. I thought it was over.
However, no less than 3 times within the next week that same girl showed up where we were, seemingly out of nowhere, and always called my daughter by name and asked her to come over to where she was. Although I knew it was just coincidence, it started to really freak me out. My daughter was also confused, and she became very clingy as this stranger consistently called her name everywhere we went. I told the girl specifically to please not do that to young kids, as it scared them and their parents, even if she meant well. I came home and talked to my husband about it (and he was there during one of the events), and we decided together that we would not post any of our kids' pictures online. We also requested that our friends and family not post our kids online. Sometimes we allow them to be in posts of groups if their names and locations aren't used, but for the most part, we just request that no one post their pictures. I never expected the backlash we would get from that decision, but we did! People were greatly offended, and several STILL challenge us by posting their pictures without permission. I am begging you, if you have a friend who asks you to take their kids' pictures off, please do so. Also, if you see a young child out that you know, make sure not to encourage them to come see you unless you also know their parents and they have given you permission. Our children deserve to be and feel safe! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment