Tuesday, August 7, 2012

God Made Me Special

My first lesson with a new group that has just promoted into my class is always "God Made Me Special."

We start by reading Genesis 1:26-27 and talk about how God made man special and in His image.

Next, we read this book:


Here is a link to it on Amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/Designed-Must-Special-Caucasian-Version/dp/096152796X

I spent WAY too much money on this book at a fancy boutique one time.  It was going out of business and I had a gift card I had to spend, so I made an impulse buy.  I have never regretted it.  It's drawn in "childish" style, but I've used it even with pre-teens and early teenagers.  It's charming.

Anyway...we read that book and talk about all the ways God made us special.  We thank God after each page for making our eyes, ears, Spirit, etc.

Next, we use a mini book from here:



The mini book is called "Little Me."


I go ahead and prepare the small page pockets.





Each page has a separate "body part" made out of paper that the kids can decorate to look like themselves.  Then, they can lay the pieces out to make a "whole" body and position it however they want.   We talk about how God made each part of us.  When they are finished, each piece slides down in the little pocket on each page, so they can keep them.   The kids always love this project!

At the end of class #1, I send home an "all about me" survey for the parents to complete with the kids asking some of their favorites so that I can get to know them a little better. 

This year, I'm trying something new.  We are making a "scrapbook" for each child of our lessons.  I'll post more about that as I figure out exactly what we're doing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment