Friday, February 17, 2012

Nostalgic

Here I am, sitting on the couch watching my little man play Toy Story on the Wii...quite well, I might add!  I am SUPPOSED to be unloading groceries and starting on birthday party preparations, but I'm feeling a little nostalgic. I can't seem to drag myself away from sitting beside him.  I find it so hard to believe that he will be 4 years old in less than a week!  Tomorrow is the big party, a Pirate bash!  Usually I'm prepared way in advance for parties, but this year I think I'm in denial that the big day is almost here!  I haven't really struggled with any of the birthdays for my kids to this point, but for some reason today he seems so BIG!  And I don't like it!!! :)  I mean, I'm grateful he's growing up and is healthy and is becoming more independent, but at the same time, I want him to always be little!  He's such a cuddle-bug, and he'd rather be with Mommy than do just about anything else.  I know the day is coming (sooner than I'd like, I'm sure), when Mommy won't be his #1 friend.  I want to enjoy my status as #1 while I can!

With my daughter, it didn't seem so monumental for her to grow up because there was another one coming behind her. We still had "baby" stuff around, so we could just enjoy her new milestones.  Knowing that this is probably our last one, I'm quite sentimental about it!  So, for now, the dirty dishes and cake pops can wait, and I'll sit here cheering him on as he defeats the bad guys on Toy Story and comes to the rescue!  I'll listen to his constant giggles and revel in his grins, triumphant cheers, and "Watch me, Mommy!" yells.   My to-do list may still be full at the end of the day, but so will my mommy-heart. 

1 comment: