Saturday, November 9, 2013

My American Girl

My sweet girl is eight years old now!  How can that be?   It seems like only yesterday that we brought her home, but it was EIGHT YEARS ago!  Wow.  Speaking of, I need to get to work on her annual birthday letter.   For those of you who haven't heard about that tradition, every year on or around my kids' birthdays, I write a letter to them about the memories of the past year and my thoughts and prayers and plans for their futures.   I keep all of the letters for each kid in a big envelope, and I plan to give it to them as adults.   We haven't decided whether that will be when they graduate high school, graduate college, get married, or move out.   I always thought as a kid that I wish I had known my mom as a person when she was raising us, so I am hopeful these letters will give my kids a little insight into who Daddy and I were (are?) when they were growing up.   I list a few struggles and happy times from the year as well as some encouraging words for later.  

Anyway, I digress.  Today was our American Girl birthday party.  I thought it turned out cute, and the girls all had a blast playing with their dolls. 

My daughter wanted us to use red stars as her theme, in conjunction with American Girl's motto to "follow your inner star."

My mom made an awesome photo prop to look like an American Girl box, and the girls stood behind it to make it look like they were IN an American Girl box!  I will try to get a picture of the whole thing without one of the kids in it...



The Cake



We set up a doll "pampering" station with salon chair and....

a "bubble" bath.

A friend loaned us this cute banner!





We decorated jars with ribbons and straws for party cups.

Miniature cups with pink buttons hot glued on for the dolls' "tea cups," and doll cupcakes. 

Pampering station

Each of her dolls got a shower towel wrap (and she got one to match!), and I sewed one doll-sized turby twist.

Doll sized sandals (just foam and ribbon!)

Reversible "salon" cape

Other side of the cape.

contents of the party favor "doll pampering kit"

facial cloths

foam/ribbon spa sandals

sleep masks (felt and elastic)

miniature bath pouf and laminated "cucumber slices" for pampering, as well as a doll headband

No comments:

Post a Comment