Sunday, May 19, 2013

Yes, I am still here!

From my "blog" it probably appears that I have fallen off the face of the earth, but I'm still here!  So much has gone on lately that I don't really even know where to start, so I'll play catch-up first.

1.   WW is finally kicking in a little again.  Today I hit the 30 lb mark on my scale at home, but we'll see what it says at my meeting on Thursday!   You never know from day to day, but at least I've seen it!   At my last meeting I officially hit my lowest-ever adult weight.   I still have a ways to go, but that was a HUGE milestone, at least psychologically!

2.  Being sick stinks.   It's horrendous when kids and spouses are sick, and I always say that I'd rather it be me than them.  That is still true, but being almost completely out of commission for 10 days at the end of your 1st grader's school year (and your husband's school year!) is very very stinky!  I'm still not 100% sure what it is that knocked me out so hard, but 3 days of fever/body aches, razor blade sore throat, full-blown cold, and a trip to the ER for bronchitis-induced asthma attack have just about done me in this month!   Thankfully, I have the world's greatest husband, and he has babied me every step of the way and really helped me try to heal.  The poor guy raced me to the ER Friday morning with no questions asked-- he woke the kids up, had them dressed and ready in seconds, and zoomed to the hospital with no thought for himself or the stress it would cause in the day ahead.  When they couldn't get a sub for his class, he arranged for someone to come pick me and the kids up at the hospital (thanks, Mom!) and took good care of us all.  What a blessing he is to me! 

3.  Speaking of him being a blessing to me, today marks 12 years of matrimony for us!   Happy Anniversary, my love!  A DOZEN YEARS!  What an incredible time we have had so far, and I look forward to dozens more, Lord willing!  In some ways, it seems that there was never a time we were not together; and yet, it seems like only yesterday that he "took the plunge" and sent me a message online.   Side note:  The kids thought it super-cool that, for just this year, if you add their ages together it equals the number of years we've been married.  :)

4.  I am re-doing the order of my Bible class "syllabus..."  again.   We have been studying in "timeline" fashion at home, and the kids have REALLY benefited from it.  So, within the bounds of the curriculum our elders have established for my kindergarteners, we are going to re-order it again.  Plus, I have a few kiddos staying with me for another year (yay!  I don't have to give them up!!!), so I don't want it all to be EXACTLY the same.  Stay tuned...I promise to do a better job this summer posting lesson plans!   By the way, I am in search of a CHEAP digital camera I can leave in my classroom to better document our activities...

5.   "Mean girls" start young.  My sweet 7 year old is already facing some of the nasty girl stuff that goes on with females.   It makes me want to scream!  I hated it when I was in the middle of it, and I hate it now.  Mommies, we need to do a better job (myself included!!!!) of teaching our girls to be loving to others.  They have such fragile self-images at times, and it just takes a word or two from a "friend" to completely destroy their sense of self-worth at this age!  We need to work harder collectively to teach our girls that they are beautiful and special and wonderful in God's sight, no matter what Ms. Popular or Ms. Brain or Ms. Whatever tells them on any given day.   Even though the next day "she" may be their best friend again, today's words hurt.  Badly.   I work hard to boost my daughter's confidence in godly ways (we don't do the whole "oh, you're so pretty" garbage), but one day with other girls' influences can undo so much of what we strive to accomplish.  Mommies, help me help our girls and get the message out to love themselves as God loves them and to be kind to others even when it is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment