Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gluten Free...is it for me?

A few weeks ago, I went for my annual physical required by my insurance.  Because I have an emergency inhaler for exercise-induced asthma, I am considered "high risk" with my insurance, and therefore have to jump through a bunch of hoops to keep my "partnership" premium rate.  (They don't care that I have blood sugar issues, am overweight, or have other issues....just that I take albuterol twice a year.  Don't get me started!  Ha!)

Anyway, I went to the dr. with a whole slew of symptoms that have gone on for years.   We keep investigating them, but to no avail.  This time I wasn't taking no for an answer, although, in my dr's defense, he's awesome.  Very thorough, very attentive, very personable, very helpful.  But, in the past, I have never been adamant, as I knew my weight was an underlying issue.  The elephant in the room, so to speak.  This time, I knew that I had lost enough weight and made enough healthy changes that my issues should have either resolved themselves or at least diminished if my weight was the cause.  They haven't.  It isn't. 

So, after a dozen or so blood tests came back within normal limits, we discussed eating gluten free for a month to 6 weeks to see if that could possibly be the culprit.   A friend of mine who is very involved in studying nutrition has been urging me for over a year to consider going wheat and gluten free, but I just didn't see the need or relevance.  Lately, however, I have read several things that made me at least consider it, so when my primary care physician recommended it, I was on board.   At this point, I am willing to try anything to get better.  I really don't WANT this to be the answer because I love some gluten things, but I do want an answer, so if this works, I am game. 

Is it working, you ask?

Well...

I have been on the plan for exactly 2 weeks today.  Since then, I have been sick every day with this virus/plague/whatever it is, so it's hard to know if the changes are due to gluten or due to my illness, but let me tell you what I HAVE noticed so far.

1.  My digestive issues are SOOOOO much better.   10 days with no digestive problems = bliss.
2.  My reflux is diminished considerably.  I even forgot my pill the other day and didn't notice.  That NEVER happens.
3.  My hair doesn't seem to be falling out as fast. 
4.  The plan isn't as hard as I expected.  It takes a little creativity and planning, but it is doable...unless you eat out!  I haven't quite figured that out yet, except for the old standby of salad.
5.  My leg hasn't swollen in 10 days.  Granted, I haven't exercised much in 10 days because of the "plague," but that usually doesn't matter.
6.  Energy level difference is difficult to pinpoint because I have been so sick, so stay tuned.
7.  No anxiety/panic in a week and a half, despite incredible stress from being sick.
8.  I have lost 3 lbs since starting, after being stalled for months.
9.  I am not hungry between meals.  

Now, I am aware that any/all of these could be coincidence or the "placebo" effect or the result of being so sick, so I am not ready to jump on this bandwagon completely.    However, the results from the first two weeks have been favorable enough that I am going to continue this for at least a few more weeks and see.   Stay tuned for more details.  Also, if you have suggestions about this eating plan, PLEASE share!   I am so new and uninformed that every day is a new research topic to figure this out!  I'd love to have more input and ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment