So...we laid some ground rules down about fighting. Rule #1: No fighting. Rule #2: Should you choose to ignore rule #1, you have two options. Option A: Work it out and continue to play together (or apart) peacefully. Option B: Tattle for intervention and spend 30 minutes each in their own rooms.
Then, we needed some rules about "boredom." My husband is starting grad school online this summer, so thea re won't be the usual someone-is-always-ready-to-play-with-me that we normally have during the summer. Also, my kids are old enough to entertain themselves at time...and I am a strong believer that if I constantly cater to and entertain my children, their imagination suffers. As does their ability to solve problems. Etc. So, in desperation, I created the "Boredom Buster Bucket.'
First thing I needed was a cheap container. Enter Dollar Tree tabletop trash can, sans lid. Add a catchy title, and voila!
Next, fill with lots of strips of paper with tasks printed on them.
Some are fun, like "Set a timer for 15 minutes and read!"
Some are not so fun, like "Grab a Clorox wipe and scrub the bathroom sink."
I set the can out on the counter, and the kids were inevitably intrigued. Within minutes, they were "bored" again, so I explained how the bucket worked. I told them that, if they were really and truly "bored" during the summer, they could ask me for a slip of paper. At that time, I would let them draw one out of the bucket WITHOUT LOOKING. They would be required to perform whichever task the slip represented. I warned them that some might be fun, but others not so much, and then I went on with my day.
While I continued to load the dishwasher, I listened while they "snuck" into the jar and read some of the slips of paper. THANKFULLY, it worked out that every one they pulled out was a negative slip. I heard my littler one say, "Sis, I think we'd better find something to do, and fast!" I couldn't help but chuckle to myself.
Later, my older one came and said, "Mommy, what exactly does it mean to be bored?" I said, "It means you can't find anything to do." She said, "Oh, because you've done everything and there's nothing new to do?" Me, "Well, our friend Mrs. Angie says it means it's because YOU are boring." She thought a moment, paused, and said, "Hmm...well, I'm pretty sure I'm not boring, so I guess I'll go do something again."
While I am sure I will be tested on this before the summer is over, at the moment, my ears are peacefully enjoying the lack of "I'm Bored!" cries piercing the air. Ahhhh...summmer....
No comments:
Post a Comment