Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Project Play Outside!

Well, we did it.  We got rid of tv!    For several months we've been discussing it, and over the weekend, our dish box broke.  After calling to order a new one and finding out we'd have to pay to have it shipped, etc., we took the plunge and canceled our account.   What a relief! I feel like a huge stress has been lifted off of me.   The money we were pouring into the television was taking quite a toll on our budget, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to find anything appropriate for the kids (or us!) to watch, so we really were throwing the money down the drain.  I hated the struggle of having to be so diligent every time the tv was on, and it was sucking my family in for way too many hours!  I couldn't justify paying all that money to bring garbage into my home.  We have always had strict time limits for tv for the kids, but during the summer (and while I'm in this boot!), it was so tempting to let those guidelines slide and for the kids to end up spending way too much time in front of the screen. I want my kids playing outside this summer!  They need sunshine! They need fresh air!  They need to just be kids and play play play!!!  Project Play Outside needed a catalyst, so here it is!  Our biggest hangup was sports, for which we haven't really found a great solution.  However, for us, the pros for canceling the satellite far outweighed the cons (namely, baseball).   We did subscribe to netflix for the summer (to ease the transition and to catch up on some movies and old cartoons the kids will enjoy), but it's so nice not to have the tv blaring all the time now!  And, I can't wait to get the bill and see the savings! :)  I'll keep you posted on how Project Play Outside goes!

1 comment:

  1. We haven't had a tv at all since we moved (no actual tv in our house)! I have definitely missed it, but there are lots of things that we didn't need to be inviting into our home. We don't have good internet either, so streaming Netflix isn't an option. :( Anyhow, my brother watches a lot of sports online and we have friends who got rid of their cable as well and connected their tv to their computer and watch sports online as well. If you need to know how to do that, I can ask them the details. Have fun playing!

    ReplyDelete