I grew up in Louisiana. Why is that relevant? We didn't eat potatoes in Louisiana...ever. We had rice with almost every meal, but the only potatoes we ever ate were the mashed variety, loaded with gravy, at a restaurant. So, when I married your classic "meat and potatoes" man, I had to quickly study potatoes. Let me just say that, 11 years into my "classes," I am a failure at cooking potatoes. I know, all my friends are thinking, "How do you mess up potatoes??!!" Trust me, I wrote the book on failed potatoes! Most times, my husband decides to make them so that I don't ruin them. As a matter of fact, the one and only time he ever said, "These don't taste like my mom's," it was because of potatoes. I even had a recipe that time, and totally ruined them!
So, why do I confess my potato faults? Because I'm no longer a failure! I've discovered a fool-proof way to get perfect potatoes, every time. In the crock pot!!! Yes, baked potatoes and mashed potatoes can be made IN THE CROCKPOT!!! Who knew? Actually, I'm sure most of you already knew that, but I didn't!
Here's how it works:
For baked potatoes: Wash potatoes well, prick with a fork, and wrap in foil (or not! as I discovered today when I ran out of foil!). Place in crockpot...it's okay if they are placed on top of each other. Cook on high for 1-2 hours or low for as long as you want! [Note: My crock pot cooks VERY VERY hot, so my times on high may need to be adjusted if yours cooks more normally.] This yields perfect potatoes. Every time. No hard spots or uncooked lumps in the middle of your baked potatoes. YUM!
For Mashed potatoes: Cube/dice peeled potatoes and place in crockpot sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Pour just enough water in the crockpot to come to the top of the potatoes and cook on high for 1-2 hours or low for 3-4 hours, until most of the liquid is dissolved and potatoes are tender. Mash with a potato masher and then stir quickly with a strong spoon until there are almost no lumps. Stir in butter, milk, salt, and pepper to taste and continue to stir until you reach desired smoothness. No mixer needed to get smooth (NOT LUMPY) potatoes. Every time. Hooray!
No comments:
Post a Comment