I haven't written in several days...not because I haven't had any inspiration to write, but because I just haven't known how to put any of it into words! For some reason, this week I have been very emotional about my roles as a wife and mommy, and I've been paying close attention to the "simple moments" that have shaped each day. We have not been without our struggles this week, but those issues have seemed to pale in comparison to the wonders of motherhood and wifehood (is that even a word?). So, I'm going to try to share a little of our week, though it may be scattered and disjointed as I try to find the right words.
First of all, this week has shown me that Love is:
1. Listening to a SkippyJon Jones book on CD at least 100 times in the car because my 4 year old
loves it. I'm sorry, but I don't! I know lots of people love that series, but for me, it's torture.
2. Letting your sister be "player #1" on the Wii because it makes her day.
3. Telling your mommy that "dinner smells SOO good! Thanks for making it!" when all we had were pancakes and beef cocktail smokies.
4. Telling a new girl at school that you are glad she moved here in March of her kindergarten year.
5. Serving food to the elders at an appreciation dinner hosted by you and your other elementary school friends.
6. Waking Mommy and Daddy up in the middle of the night because you "just want a hug and a kiss" so you can sleep better.
7. Doing the dishes for your wife because her dishwasher broke and washing dishes by hand makes her gag.
8. Washing dishes by hand because your dishwasher broke, even though it makes you gag, and not complaining that you don't have the $ for a new one. And being okay with it!
9. Postponing grading papers because your daughter sleeps better when Daddy reads a chapter of a princess, fairy, or pony book before bed.
10. Holding your 4 year old son on your lap while he's sound asleep, even though it puts both of your legs to sleep and makes your back hurt.
11. Letting your wife fall asleep with her head in your lap (when you really need to be grading papers) because she's been up every night for 2 weeks straight with the "kid parade" of nightmares.
The list could go on and on, but these few struck me as notable this week.
We've been discussing an "attitude of servitude" in our family Bible studies this week, because we were facing some bad attitudes from our children. I don't know if they "got" all of what we taught, but I do know that I can see a difference after just a week. The gains have been small --no giant leaps yet-- but I have seen the kids switch to being less selfish with a few decisions this week as we've studied Abigail's humility towards David, the good Samaritan's willingness to help even his enemy, Jesus washing the disciples' feet, and, of course, and Jesus' final prayer for his disciples and for US! on the eve of his trials. I have to admit that it has made me do some thinking, too. Our lives are so programmed to be all about us that sometimes we forget that others have needs, too. I've been challenged this week to look for small ways to have an "attitude of servitude" in my daily life. For instance, doing my daily tasks like laundry and dishes and being happy to do so, as it means I'm blessed with a family who needs those things done for them. Or, helping my son with a task that he can do but that is difficult but has frustrated him to his limits. Maybe it's even fixing a loved one's favorite meal, even if I hate it! Even little things can be big things and can make my tiny little "light" shine brighter as I pass it on to someone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment