Monday, August 26, 2019

Why I love Digging Deep (and hope you will, too!)

Every August at Polishing the Pulpit, a new "Digging Deep" Bible study put together by Cindy Colley is released for Christian women.  The new study always begins on September 1st and runs a full 12 months (until the next one is released the following August).   Each year's study has a central theme or focus, such as "Sanctification," "Authority," "Shadows," or "Glory."    The study can be used as a stand-alone study (which is available in a bound edition or in a free download), or participants can take advantage of weekly audio podcasts, a monthly video podcast, and a Facebook group full of other "diggers" who offer accountability, study help, and encouragement. 

The "birth" of this study has a pretty amazing story all of its own, which you can hear about in Cindy's instructional video on her family's website. (If you want to watch it, I can provide the actual link).  Having now completed all 8 previous studies and having embarked on this 9th year's study, I can see so much evidence that God has blessed those involved in this study through the growth realized from being entrenched in His word and digging through Scriptures.   Do you have to do Digging Deep to be a good Christian?   NO.  Do you have to do Digging Deep to go to heaven?  NO.    Do we have to study His word and be about His business?   YES.  For me, this study has been a huge help in my personal Bible study and evangelistic efforts, so I wanted to share with you why I, personally, choose to follow along with this study (and a few reasons I "don't").

1.  First of all, I love Digging Deep because of its intense focus on the inerrant word of God.  While there are sometimes articles referenced about a particular topic of study, most of the content of the study is strictly based on Scripture.   We are challenged to read the text itself, straight from Scripture, and to apply what it says to our own lives so that we can be busy about the Father's business.   Each month of the study is saturated with verses, passages, chapters, and even whole books of the Bible to read, consider, and meditate on as we grow in the knowledge of the word. 

2.  It's difficult.   That might sound like an odd reason to love a Bible study, but I love that it pushes me beyond my comfort zone and challenges me to learn new methods of studying Scripture (like word studies).   It keeps me from getting in a rut with my Bible study, because I can't just read a passage, answer a question, and move on, checking off boxes as I go.  I have to really THINK about the Scripture to uncover the answers to the author's questions.   I can't get complacent, or I get behind quickly!  I have to keep Bible study in the forefront of my mind and as a daily focus.   

3.  It's "easy."   I know, I just said it was difficult, and now I'm saying it's easy.  By easy, I don't mean there is no challenge.  I simply mean that it is laid out in a structured fashion and builds on itself from one month to the next, so there is continuity.    It is divided into months and into questions, so it is easy to follow along with what comes next in the study.   I am easily distracted, and this keeps me focused.

4.   It's free, if you want it to be!  While Cindy offers a bound version of the study for purchase if you desire such, she always makes sure that the full study is available online as a free download.  This makes it so easy for me to invite others to study along with no monetary commitment on their part. 

5.   There is supplemental material.   The monthly video podcasts,  the weekly (ish) audio podcasts, and the Facebook support groups are so helpful in completing the study.   They supply an accountability factor that isn't present in a lot of other study materials.   Also, it's so encouraging to know that so many sisters are studying the same thing I am at the same time.    And, it's always nice to listen to or view the podcasts to make sure I got the "right" answers, because I don't often "think like" Cindy, so sometimes I'm not sure if I went in the right direction.

6.  It builds relationships.   Cindy encourages people to study this in group settings, as well as in personal Bible time.   In my congregation, we have a small group of ladies that gets together to discuss the material once a month.  The relationships we build through this are so special to me.    It can also build relationships within families.  When my 10-year daughter asked to join the study 3 years ago, I'll be honest...I didn't think she could/would stick with it.   3 completed studies later, she's still going strong!  She and I have bonded over the study in a way we wouldn't without this avenue.   Also, members of the Facebook groups often encourage one another.   Some of my "Digging Deep" sisters have become some of my closest friends as well.

7.  It leads souls to salvation.  Not because of the author, not because of the format, not because of any of the participants, but because it is a study of God's word, and God's word has the power to save souls.    A couple of years ago, a young lady reached out on the Digging Deep Facebook page searching for answers and for someone who could help her.   I "just happened" to see her post, and she lived nearby, so a friend and I met her for coffee and started studying the Bible with her.  2 years later, she and her husband have obeyed the gospel and are faithful members of the kingdom who are raising a young child to love and serve the Lord.   Just this week, her mother, who had fallen away, decided to obey the gospel and is our new sister in Christ!  God is SO good, all the time. 

8.  It helps us put our faith into action.  James says in no uncertain terms that faith without works is a dead faith.   The monthly "practically speaking" portions of this study give us real, tangible ways to put our faith into practice beyond the walls of our home.   It keeps us from having stagnant faith and forces us to be active.  My teenage daughter recently converted a friend because of the confidence she obtained from the study. 

9.   I can't make excuses.   There are "deadlines" for the study each month if you want to fully benefit from the podcasts.  There is a "deadline" for finishing the study if you want to be part of the "awards" ceremony at PTP.   Group discussions take place on scheduled dates, so if I want to be able to contribute to the discussion, I need to make sure I'm completing my study.   Also, I have several friends doing the study who hold me accountable, AND a teenage daughter who expects me to finish. 

10.  This is NOT why I do Digging Deep.  I DON'T do Digging Deep because I think the author of the study has all the answers. She is just a Christian like the rest of us.   The Author of the Textbook, however, does.     I DON'T do the study because I think I am a better Christian than someone else.  Quite the contrary...I do it because I know I have areas where I need to improve, and time spent in the study of God's word makes me a better Christian personally than I was before I spent time in study.   I DON'T do Digging Deep because we get a prize at PTP.   I don't like being the center of attention, and NO material prize or blessing can even compare to the spiritual blessings obtained through diligent Bible study.     I DON'T do the study because I just have all this free time.   I do the study because I need to remember to "redeem the time."   I DON'T do Digging Deep because I think it's the only study that will get you to heaven.  ANY study of God's word is profitable, as long as we are studying in some way.   I DON'T do Digging Deep because finishing the study is any kind of badge of honor.  I do it because I want to finish THE course and hear those words, "Well done, good and faithful servant." 

This has been lengthy, but if you have stuck with it this long, I hope that you are encouraged to do your own personal Bible study, no matter what form it takes!   If you choose Digging Deep, great!  I'd love to help you and be a study partner.  If you choose a different way to study, I'd love to hear about it and learn from your endeavors.  If you start Digging Deep and decide it's "not for you," find something else that is, but study! Remember, you don't have to "finish" any particular study to grow in the knowledge of His word, but you do have to be busy learning and growing from His word.   We are never finished in our study of His word. 

4 comments:

  1. wow! this makes me happy...not because I have done this study, but because HE is so good! Way to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Especially #7! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri, you have been very encouraging to me. And reading this gives me more courage to complete the study this year. I know with God's help I can attain this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. I have the same feelings and you said them so eloquently. Thank you and let’s keep digging deep.��

    ReplyDelete