Okay, so I admit it. I'm a dork. I still keep up with cheesy things like how long it's been since we started dating, how many years since my hubby proposed, etc. Today is one of those days!
15 years ago today, my life changed forever when my now-husband and I went on our first date. Not only OUR first date together, but MY first date ever! Earlier that week we had started talking a lot. I mean, for HOURS each day. We went to a small, private college, and we'd sit out on the porch (in the freezing cold) and talk for hours or walk back and forth to the post office (which, at that school, practically means you're engaged...ha!), or instant message through AOL (remember that?!). That was before cell phones and texting and all that. (Since that day, we have not failed to talk to each other a SINGLE DAY! That is almost 5500 days!Even when we had to date long distance during summers and breaks in college, we found a way to talk to each other, even if for only a minute. Back then, phone calls weren't cheap, so we chatted online a LOT.)
Anyway, we had talked for several days and were becoming good friends when he got up the nerve to ask me out and took a risk. Everybody but me saw it coming. I was naive and clueless. The only "problem" was that he asked me out on a day I already had plans with my parents and siblings to see a basketball game. I REALLY wanted to go with him, but I didn't want to ditch my family or let them down because it was Parents' Weekend at school. So, I just told him I'd go with him if my parents could come, too. Weird, I know. BUT, he said YES to that, and the rest is history!! As a matter of fact, our first 2 or 3 dates were with my parents at basketball games. Hahaha!
I am so thankful that my now-husband took a chance on the unknown and asked me out. He is super shy and very introverted, so I know that it must have been really hard for him to step out on a limb and take that chance. I have no doubt that we were "supposed" to meet, because the way we met and the way our circumstances worked out could not have been coincidence. Too many things had to be "just right" for all this to turn out as it has. And, he led me to Christ and to the church at a time when I was desperately seeking the Truth. I had studied and found the pieces but wasn't sure how to put them together to be pleasing to God, but he was there to help me make sense of it all. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for putting the right person in my path at the right time. Since then, I have tried to pay really close attention when someone new crosses my path, because you never know when that someone will change your life (or vice versa).
No comments:
Post a Comment