I have never taught Job in my kindergarten class, but this year we tackled it, and I think the kids really enjoyed it! :)
We started class with this as the kids were coming in (early):
I wrote Job on a page and the kids "traced" the letters with stickers. We put it in their scrapbooks. It wasn't much, but it worked on fine motor skills and helped them focus on sounding out the word.
Next, we read this book:
A Patient Man from Uz
For what it's worth, the books from this company are fabulous!! We have all of them, I think, and my kids love love LOVE them!
As we tell the story, we emphasize that, no matter what, Job loved God!
For our hands -on activity, the kids each drew their favorite parts of the story on some scratch art postcards I got from Oriental trading here: Scratch Art For what it's worth, scratch art can be used in SO many ways, and the kids always love it.
Finally, I printed off some coloring pictures about Job that I found here: Job and laminated them with magnets on the back. Each kid got a set to take home for story sequencing. I was amazed how much they got the concept that "No Matter What, Job Loved God!" By the end of class, they were all shouting "But....Job Loved God!"
Every week we have "word wall" words. I hold up a word and the kids have to tell me what it has to do with the story. In later weeks, we can quickly review all our stories by going over our word wall, and it helps them learn to read and recognize Bible words. I try to use a picture that represents the story in some way. For instance, here is a picture of the ones from this week using a "whirlwind," since the Bible says God came to Job in a whirlwind.
No comments:
Post a Comment