Monday, September 5, 2011

Bible study for busy moms

Most of you know that my daughter started kindergarten this year.  That has obviously changed our daily schedule and routine tremendously!  Since she was a baby, we have always had a morning (or early afternoon if needed) Bible study lesson together, and I wondered how in the world we would be able to fit this in with the hustle and bustle of school!  Simply moving it to the afternoon wasn't an option, because we do family studies in the afternoon and evening with my husband, so I had to come up with an alternate plan. In the past we have focused mainly on stories and characters in the Bible.  For this study, though, I wanted it to primarily be an "application" lesson to her school day to give her additional ammunition for fighting against the fiery darts of the devil (Yes, he targets even our young ones to keep them from striving to please God!).  So, on day one of kindergarten we started a simple "program" that I believe will work for any busy moms trying to get out the door in the morning with school-age children.  Prior to that I took a few hours of my own personal Bible study and looked up and wrote down relevant verses dealing with how we should treat God, how we should treat others, and ways that we could be good examples to others around us.  Some verses I chose include: the Golden Rule, "love one another," "let your light shine," "do not worry," etc.   Each morning at breakfast (or during the car ride if we're having a really rushed morning), I read or quote the verse(s) to her, tell her where they are found (and let her find them most days!), and we discuss a way that she can use that concept during her day at school.   It is still a work in progress, and I'll admit that some days go more smoothly than others, but overall it seems to be working for us.  It gets our day started off right by focusing on God's word and what is really important in our lives, and it gives her practical ways to apply Christian principles in her daily life in elementary school.  If nothing else, it keeps our minds OFF of the negative emotions that can come from having to get up early and get moving! :)   I don't write this to brag about our daily Bible study (we have many ways to improve!!).  I am sharing this so that perhaps other moms who struggle with fitting things like this into their day might be able to take this and run with it.  I also would love to hear other suggestions that you have for making time to teach God's word to your children, no matter how busy your schedule is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment